By Therese Hensler, LCSW
The gift of giving and gratitude is a heartfelt way to show others you care in a genuine way. We all like it when someone does a kind act for us, right? It makes us feel special, and radiates the sunshine in our day. I am a big proponent of paying it forward, too. Do you offer kindness to others and say thank you for free? The world needs more people who do nice things for other people without expectations in return. I have been tremendously blessed to know many of these people and my gratitude goes out to all of you. They are exemplary models of altruism and I believe they have helped me be a better person. There are some modest actions we can all test out to spread the love, it may just take a little effort of compassion. I know you have it in you.
10 Acts of Kindness to Act On
- Do the dishes without complaining.
- Stop by a neighbors’ house to say hi when they are lonely.
- Call a friend who may need a boost.
- Thank people for doing simple things.
- Pick up a dropped item for someone.
- Get something you know the other person wants from the other room.
- Make dinner for your partner.
- Approach all life events with gratefulness.
- If you haven’t said “I love you” in a while, say it to someone and yourself.
- Give yourself a break and do something nice for yourself.
So now I have a challenge for all of us. How about for the next week, we do a kind act for someone each day, without expecting anything in return? Spread those rays of sunshine happiness!